Sunday, December 28, 2008

Review: The Shack

The Shack is the story of one man's struggle to come to terms with the loss of his daughter, his past and the anger he feels towards his Maker. One morning, Mack (Mackenzie) Philips receives a cryptic note from God inviting him to return to the crumbling shack where four years ago his youngest daughter was brutally murdered. What happens next is a journey of forgiveness and understanding for Mack as he meets and confronts the Holy Trinity.

The Shack was The Book Caucus' first book and while it began many great discussions, I have mixed feelings about this book. It was an easy and intriguing read, however I often became frustrated by the oversimplification of the Bible's teachings. Young's interpretations seemed a little "too good to be true". What I did like about the book is that it challenged me to consider my own beliefs about God and forgiveness. Having said the above I have passed on my copy to friends to ignite more discussions. If anything it is an interesting book to check out and not a bad read at all.

No comments: