Thursday, November 7, 2013

Resurgence

I have been thinking a lot lately about changing the format of my little blog. I still want to include book reviews, but I want to explore more. I started Boomda's Little Corner what feels like another lifetime ago...before children and being a working mom.

One of the many things that I think about incessantly is how to support my Jabberwocky through the school system when it is becoming more and more apparent that he learns very differently from his classmates. In time we will need to explore assessments to better understand his strengths as a learner and how best to support his needs. Right now, books like the Gift of Dyslexia by Ron Davis and Superparenting for ADD by Dr. Hallowell and Dr. Jensen have given me some strategies to try. What I love most about the books is the approach that while a Learning Disability or ADD/ADHD may be a challenge, with love, support and understanding it is a gift when harnessed properly.

As parents we want our kids to live a carefree childhood learning about friendships, responsibilities and fun. It is a bit of a shock when we realize that there will be mountains to climb and roadblocks along the way. I work in Special Education and have for many years. Understanding that my child has a learning disability has been a real journey, and at times there has been a grieving process. It is not to say that I do not see my child's strengths, I do, there are many. I am now more aware that as a parent I will need to build and rebuild his self-confidence and stamina.

Back to the blog, I am going to start to explore all aspects of my life, including reading, crafting, parenting and anything else that comes along. Get ready, we call November Birthdaypalooza because every family member has a birthday coming up. Each child gets a cake on their birthday and at their birthday party which I plan with them and attempt to make. I foresee some minions and such making its way to Boomda's Little Corner.

I am excited about this adventure, and hopefully a few of you will be too!

T

No comments: